BRJ Open Water Swim Sessions Code of Conduct – 2021
BRJ Run & Tri has an agreement with Hinchingbrooke Park to use the sports lake for open water swimming on Friday evenings (members only). Please note swimming in not permitted at any other time. Open Water Swimming is a fantastic experience but it does come with safety issues. Failure to abide by the code of conduct may result in having your membership revoked. There is always a non-swimming person checking you in and out of the lake every week and they have the overall say on when and where you can swim. Bad weather conditions may prevent the swim sessions from going ahead right up to and during the swim session.
Please read the code of conduct below to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable swim:-
- All swimmers MUST be able to swim 750m in a pool without stopping before swimming in the lake.
- Please pay special attention to the briefing given by the safety team before your first swim in the lake.
- Junior members are allowed to swim in open water provided they are accompanied at all times in the lake by their parent, guardian or coach who must be a competent swimmer as well as a member. All code of conduct rules apply to juniors. Juniors MUST wear a wetsuit and use a towfloat if possible if entering the water.
- Covid Amendment – Juniors will not be allowed to just paddle during 2021 (this will be reviewed should new government guidelines come into place.
- You must sign in on arrival and hand in your membership card, please note NO CARD NO SWIM. As soon as you exit the water you must sign out.
- Covid Amendment – Please note we are not taking cards this year, you will sign in with our volunteer before you enter and exit the water.
- Wetsuits are COMPULSARY unless you can prove you are training for cross channel swimming. If the water temperature goes above 18 degrees then wetsuits are optional but you MUST swim with a towfloat unless discussed with the organiser beforehand. Bright coloured swim hats are a must, you cannot swim without one.
- For your safety, please swim in pairs or small groups.
- Covid Amendment – Please also be aware of keeping distance between yourselves for Covid reasons.
- Swim in a clockwise direction and keep the buoys on your right and try not to swim directly down the middle of the lake, this is to avoid people swimming into each other.
- Please take time to look at the lake and take note of landmarks you can sight when swimming.
- Keep a look out for other swimmers and stay alert at all times.
- When entering the water, keep a look out for any object in the water that might cause harm.
- Minor cuts and abrasions must be covered up with a plaster. If you have deep cuts, do not swim.
- Please do not swim if you are unwell. If you become unwell after open water swimming, please see your GP and state where you have been swimming.
- Try not to ingest any water and after swimming it is good practice not to eat until you have washed your hands.
- Note, we do not test for water quality.
- If at any point you get into trouble while swimming, roll onto your back, wave and shout for attention.
- Covid Amendment – Please do not come to our swim sessions if you are symptomatic of Covid-19, living in a household with Covid-19 infection or have returned back from a country with quarantining rules. By signing this, you agree to the Track and Trace.
I am aware of the dangers and difficulty of open water swimming. In order to reduce the risk and for mutual support, I will swim with a group. I take responsibility for my own actions and absolve the individuals I swim with and the BRJ Run & Tri Club from any liability arising from injury or death whilst, or consequent, to open water swimming. I am medically fit to undertake open water swimming. I have submitted up to date medical information to BRJ Run and Tri.
I do / do not suffer from epilepsy or fits (please delete as appropriate).