Club Annual Running Championships
The Club Senior Running Championship was introduced in 2008, Junior in 2014 and Youth in 2019, with the aim of:
- Encouraging members’ participation in a more varied mix of race events and distances.
- Encouraging “friendly competition” between members, despite differences in age and gender, and in turn increasing an individual’s motivation and performances.
- Increasing the visibility of the Club at events and the potential for members to achieve individual and team awards.
The list of previous Senior Running Champions can be found at the bottom of this page.
- The Running Championship will be run over a 12 month period commencing on the 1st January.
- The Championship is open to all first claim members.
- Individuals must complete four events from a list of “nominated” events.
- An individual’s final score is calculated using the total of their best three age and gender graded scores.
- The race finish times are taken from the official published race results. Chip timing will be used, where available.
- Only results that record the individual competing as a BRJ member will be scored. If a BRJ member completes a race under the name of another person, the result will be disallowed.
- Finish times will be converted into an age and gender percentage score using the Howard Grubb WMA (October 2016 edition).
- Self-timed races will not be eligible.
- The age category is determined by the member’s age on the 1st January.
- Clothing shall be worn that identifies you as a member of BRJ.
In the event of a tie, when calculating the final scores, the following criteria will be used to determine the final positions.
|i).||Compare the average points for all events completed across an equal number of races. The individual with the highest average percentage will win.|
|ii).||If the position is still tied after applying the test at (i) above, the individual with the highest total number of completed eligible events will take precedence.|
|iii).||In the event that there is any dispute, the arbiter shall be the senior club captain, whose decision shall be final.|
Senior Age Category Awards
Men/ Women; Youth (U20), 20-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54,55-59,60-64, 65+
|SENIOR “NOMINATED” EVENTS FOR 2023|
|JANUARY (22nd)||FOLKSWORTH 15M|
|FEBRUARY (12th)||STAMFORD 30K|
|MARCH (5th)||OUNDLE 20M|
|APRIL (2nd)||SANDY 10M|
|MAY (14th)||EYE 10K|
|JUNE (25th)||RAMSEY 10K|
|JULY (6th)||EYE CHARITY 5M|
|AUGUST (9th)||PETERBOROUGH GRAND PRIX SERIES 5K (RACE 5) – FERRY MEADOWS|
|SEPTEMBER (3rd)||SAWTRY 10M|
|OCTOBER (15th)||GREAT EASTERN RUN PETERBOROUGH 1/2 MARATHON|
|NOVEMBER (12th)||“ANY” PARKRUN 5K|
|DECEMBER (31st)||ELY NEW YEARS EVE 10K|
|JANUARY-DECEMBER||ANY 1 (ONE) FULL MARATHON (UK OR OVERSEAS)|
Running Performance Awards
In conjunction with the Annual Running Championship there is a Performance Awards Scheme.
If an individual achieves a finish position in the Running Championship their level of achievement will be measured against the pre-determined set of criteria detailed below:-
|Award Level||Award Criteria|
|Club Standard||The average of the total score for their best 3 events fall below 50%|
|Bronze||The average of the total score for their best 3 events fall between 50% to 59.99%|
|Silver||The average of the total score for their best 3 events fall between 60% to 69.99%|
|Gold||The average of the total score for their best 3 events fall between 70% to 74.99%|
|Platinum||The average of the total score for their best 3 events fall between 75% to 79.99%|
|Diamond||The average of the total score for their best 3 events fall at 80%, or more|
|Year||Men – Tony Cotton Shield||Women – Esther Cotton Shield||Youth Award Combined Male/Female|
|2008/9||Tony Cotton||Esther Cotton||–|
|2009/10||Darren Preston||Lucy Moore||–|
|2010/11||Darren Preston||Sue Yendley||–|
|2012||Roger Holliday||Annette Newton||–|
|2013||Roger Holliday||Annette Newton||–|
|2014||David Newton||Annette Newton||–|
|2015||David Newton||Annette Newton||–|
|2016||David Newton||Annette Newton||–|
|2017||David Hudson||Annette Newton||–|
|2018||David Hudson||Annette Newton||–|
|2019||David Hudson||Annette Newton||James Orrell|
|2020||Not awarded Covid pandemic||Not awarded Covid pandemic||Not awarded Covid pandemic|
|2021||Not awarded Covid pandemic||Not awarded Covid pandemic||Not awarded Covid pandemic|
|2022||David Newton||Annette Newton||Keelan Duffy|