Ouse Valley Way Marathon – Initial Race Instructions
Sunday 10 September 2023
Information Subject to Change, Competitors Should Visit the Brj Run And Tri Webpage For Updates
- General. This document contains important information for successfully running the Ouse Valley Way Marathon (OVWM), which is due to take place on Sunday 10 September 2023. The OVWM is a trail race where the paths are a mixture of grass, gravel, and tarmac. If the weather has been dry in the lead up to the Race, then road shoes will be fine. The paths are uneven, may have trip hazards and low branches. Competitors shall be responsible for their own safety.
- Route. Owing to a number of factors, the final route is subject to change. Moreover, the Village Hall has recently closed permanently, and the Race Planning Group is in the process of finding a new registration location. Details shall be communicated to competitors as they are finalized. The route Gmap link is below:
- Navigation. Part of the route runs directly beside the river and competitors must take extra care along these stretches. There are no road closures along the route; however, marshals shall be present at all road crossings to assist. Please follow their instructions to ensure these roads are crossed safely. Competitors shall be expected to self-navigate; however, the route is marked as follows:
Figure 1. Ouse Valley Way signs (not normally this pristine!)
Figure 2. BRJ Ouse Valley Way Marathon signs
Figure 3. White spray paint arrows on the ground.
There shall also be yellow raffia tied to branches, which is mainly used on riverside sections. There will also be maps at each water point outlining the next stage, and route guidance notes, with photos, shall be posted on the BRJ Run and Tri Website a few weeks before the Race is due to be held. These photos are not intended to navigate the whole route but shall highlight the keys areas competitors shall run through.
- Entries. Competitors must be over 18 years of age. Entries can be made at:
- Registration. The current plan is for all competitors to register at the start line at Earith. Race numbers must be collected from the Registration Desks at Race HQ Earith on the morning of the race – no race numbers shall be sent in the post, this is to ensure that the Race Director knows exactly which competitors are taking part. Race HQ will be open from 0730 and all competitors shall be expected to register by 09.00. A list of runners with race numbers shall be published, medical and contact details should be written on the reverse of the race number and race numbers should always be visible during the race.
- Parking. Parking in Earith is limited, the owners of The Crown, High Street, Earith, PE28 3PP, have kindly agreed that their car park can be used to drop off runners and watch the start, but competitors and their families/supporters are not permitted to park in the Crown Inn car park all day.
- Race Briefing. Competitors travelling in the Coach from St Neots to the Start at Earith shall be briefed on the Race during the journey. The formal Race Briefing will be at Earith at 09.00.
- Relay Runners. The Relay has two stages with the changeover in Godmanchester, which is not quite the halfway point. Relay runners must register and collect their race numbers from Race HQ at Earith. Relay teams (of two) have numbers in consecutive order, there is no relay baton to be carried. Relays runners shall be requested to inform the Race Director of the order in which they intend to run. This shall enable the correct race number and timing chip to be allocated. The time of the handover will be noted automatically, which will enable the first and second stage times to be calculated. There is limited parking at Mill Yard Car Park (PE29 2BA) and at Queen Elizabeth School where public toilets are located. Second stage runners should ensure that they are in the hand over area in plenty of time before their running partner arrives. There is no transport to or from the Godmanchester relay handover; competitors must make their own arrangements.
- Transport. The OVWM is a point-to-point race. There will be a Coach from the FINISH at Eynesbury to the start at Earith. The Coach shall leave promptly at 08.15 – Late arrivals will miss the race. Competitors must pre-book the Coach at a cost of £8 to be able to use this service.
- The Start. The start is just along the road from Earith Village Hall, and the Race Director shall move competitors there at 09.15 ready for the start at 09.30.
Owing to the constrictions along the High Street the Race Director shall starting the race in waves at 3-minute intervals. All competitors should have started within 15 minutes. Waves shall be based on competitors’ estimated finishing time, with the fastest going first, and competitors shall be grouped in waves at the start according to race numbers. Competitors must make sure they are prompt when their wave is called.
12. Water Station. There will be water stations at approximately 4, 6, 9, 12, 14, 17, 20, 22, 23 miles and at the finish.
13. Getting to Race HQ. There is car parking at the St Neots One Leisure Centre; however, competitors are requested to car share if possible and to follow marshal’s instructions to ensure that cars are parked safely and considerately.
By Road. St Neots One Leisure is easily reached from the A1 and A428. From the A1 take the A428 signed for Eynesbury and Cambridge. At the second roundabout turn left, cross three roundabouts and the leisure centre is on the left.
By Rail: St Neots train station is approximately one mile from the One Leisure.
- Getting to the Start. To get to Earith Village Hall, 28 High Street, Earith, PE28, Latitude 52.353626, Longitude 0.031680912.
- From the A1. Exit at A14 Huntingdon and Cambridge and take A14 east. At the next roundabout turn right. Follow the A14 towards Cambridge and exit at St Ives. Follow the A1096, at fourth roundabout turn right for Needingworth, Ely. Follow road through Bluntisham until you arrive in Earith. The Village Hall is on the right, just before the Crown public house.
- From the M11 or A14 westbound. Merge from the A14/M11 on to the A14 westbound. Exit at Bar Hill and follow directions for Willingham. Go through Willingham, and at mini roundabout turn left over river. The Village Hall will be on your left, just after the Crown public house.
- Marshals. The Race Director is grateful to all the volunteers that marshal the OVWM, organise the registration and manage the car park. Marshals shall wear high-vis vests and are there to help you. Please follow marshals’ instructions and take the opportunity to thank them.
- Facilities. Toilets and changing rooms are available in the St Neots One Leisure. There are very limited facilities at Earith.
- Baggage. There are no facilities for storing baggage at Earith or for returning baggage to the finish at St Neots. Baggage can be left at the FINISH, St Neots One Leisure; however, the storage point might not be manned throughout the event so please do not leave valuables. The car park is on the same site, and competitors may want to leave baggage in their car. If competitors want to wear something to the start, please make sure it is something old that can be donated to charity.
- Refreshments. The One Leisure centre at St Neots has a café; there shall be no refreshments at Earith.
- First Aid Facilities. St John’s Ambulance shall be present at the finish in St Neots, and there shall be first aid kits at each of the water stations. Competitors shall be given cards with race contact details should they run into difficulties on the course or find another runner in difficulty. In the event of a medical emergency phone 999.
- Results. The results shall be on the BRJ race website soon after the race and via competitors’ contact details conferred at the on-line registration. You will also be able to check your result on a screen at the finish.
- Ouse Valley Runners. Ouse Valley Runners are kindly supporting the 2023 OVWM and the Race Director is sincerely grateful for their assistance.
- Questions. Please forward any questions relating to OVWM 2023 to the Race Director.
G A PYE
OVWM 2023 Race Director